If you can't wait for the show season to get going, and you love to write, why not enter our writing contest? We're asking for your best stories about a Trillium Show! They can be happy, sad, surprising or unexpected. Our question is:
"What is your most memorable moment from a Trillium Show?"
Entries will be accepted from Friday March 7 to Friday March 14th at 11:59pm (EST)
To enter you must be:
- A current THJA member. (Purchase membership here)
- In grades 4 to 12 at the time of entry.
Your story must be:
- Your original work.
- Unpublished elsewhere.
- No longer than 500 words.
- Written in response to the question: "What is your most memorable moment from a Trillium show?"
- Please give your story a title!
A winner will be chosen in each of three categories
- Grades 4 to 6
-Grade 7 and 8
- Grade 9 to 12
A prize basket will be awarded to each winner, and the winning stories will be published in the Championship Show Program in September, 2014, as well as on the THJA website.
Entries will be judged by Tudor Robins, author of horse-themed Young Adult novels Objects in Mirror and soon-to-be-published Appaloosa Summer.
Tudor will be looking for:
- Original voice
- Unique style
- Interesting language
- Spelling / Grammar / Presentation
Tudor will also be providing writing tips during the course of the contest. Look for these on the THJA facebook page as well as Tudors website and facebook page.
How to enter:
There is no fee to enter!
Formatting: Stories should be double-spaced in an easy-to-read 12 point font (e.g. Times, Arial). Remember, no longer than 500 words, please!
Winners will be contacted directly, and announced on the THJA website and social media.
Good luck and happy writing!
The Fine Print:
Winning entries: The THJA takes first serial rights for print and non exclusive electronic rights to post the text at www.thja.ca. All other rights remain with the author.
All publication rights for non winning entries are retained by the entrants.
By entering the contest, you agree to be placed on Tudor Robins' email newsletter list. This newsletter is sent out four times a year and you may opt out at any time.
New/Changed Equine Canada Rules for 2014:
Article G1005.6 - Only silver coloured stirrups are permitted in equitation or medal classes. Use of black or coloured stirrups will incur elimination.
Article G107.6 - All trainers/coaches must carry the memberships and Sports License equivalent to the level of competition where they are training/coaching.
News for 2014!
- The 2014 dates for all zones have been finalized. Check your respective zones website or the THJA Calendar of Events for the list.
- The Trillium Championship Show Specs for 2014 have been finalized and published on the THJA website. Please be sure to check them to ensure you are eligible for your selected division(s) to avoid disappointment later in the season.
- The 2’6 Childrens/Adult Amateur Hunter will be split into two separate divisions at the Trillium Championship Show in 2014.
- Trillium Shows are required to offer prize money in all of the Trillium Championship Show Qualifying divisions. Graduated prize money based on the number of entries in a class or division is not permissible.
- Please be diligent about getting entries into show secretaries by the closing date as published in the horse show prizelist whenever possible. All Trillium Championship Show divisions must be offered at each Trillium Show, however show managers reserve the right to cancel any division that does not have at least three entries on the closing date.